Hard Choices

|
This morning I was highly motivated. The kids and I were going to the park and it wasn't even 8:30 a.m. I had a meeting later in the morning, and wanted to get an early start. I decided not to bring our dogs because we planned to bike.

We have 2 dog. Chile and Chloe. Chile, our male is 7 yrs old and Chloe, our female is 6 months behind him. We think Chile may have been raised in a puppy mill based on the way he reacts to things in life. He takes longer to warm to men and is skiddish. He's also sent into a panicked state when Joe or I are goofing off and spanking one another or yelling from the basement to the main floor to ask for a loaf of bread etc.

In the past, Chile has only once snipped at Jack. Jack was messing with him and I decided that it may have been slightly justified. He never bit Jack or anyone else. More or less that time was a warning.

Today though, was totally different. I asked Chile to kennel up and when Luke went to "help" and pick up Chile under his belly, Chile snipped, growled and then BIT Luke. Not a large bite, but enough to know that the time has come for this little dog to find a different home. No matter what, Luke was not provoking Chile or bugging him. I am very sad by this. It's also a little too familiar.

I was bit by a dog as a kid and I have a scar on my hand from it.

This whole thing is very devastating, but necessary.
If you know of anyone (in MN) without kids who might want a sweet dog who is respectful of adults, in good health and trained, please let me know. Our hope is to find him a good home and if that doesn't happen, bring him to a no kill shelter.

We love you Chile. Jack calls you his little buddy. I'm hoping to find you a loving home.

2 comments:

Becca @ My Crazy Good Life said...

That stinks. Really stinks. But he'll be happier somewhere else, without kids. :)

Chelsea said...

Boo I'm sorry. That bites. Kudos to you for making the tough decision though. I agree with Becca - he'll be happier somewhere else, and you'll be happier not having to worry.
hugs!